Watch this YouTube video from CBS (published November 25th 2017) and listen for the following phrases:
- “coffee is simple and straightforward“
- “makes for awkward conversation here”
- “tradition runs deep“
- “is Italian coffee culture under threat?”
- “are catering to American tastes“
- “to stay at the counter“
- “there’s plenty“
- “lamenting the looming US import”
- “to concoct something else strong”
- “to hold their ground“
Can you hear them? Listen again to check.
What do they mean? Look at the alternatives below:
- coffee is not complicated, and easy to do
- causes uncomfortable conversation
- tradition is very serious and old
- is Italian coffee culture in danger?
- are giving Americans what they are accustomed to
- to remain at the bar surface, not at the table
- there’s a lot
- expressing sadness about the imminent American import
- to create something else strong
- to stay where they are, to not retreat
Have you visited the new Milan Starbucks yet? Or Starbucks in another country? Tell us what you think about it’s arrival in Milan in the comments below!
To practice your English further, write a summary of what you watched in the video. Include your own opinions if you’d like!
Non è la solita scuola di inglese. I nostri insegnanti madrelingua offrono corsi personalizzati per soddisfare tutte le esigenze dei nostri clienti, avvalendosi di un metodo vivace e coinvolgente che, grazie all’utilizzo della tecnologia, facilita l’apprendimento della lingua e aggiunge un tocco divertente alle lezioni.